Monday, July 29, 2013

Columbus, Georgia - The Chattahoochee River Walk


Headed to Atlanta from Alabama, I chose to ignore my  navigator and made a right turn for a midday stroll.  Within five minutes, I had landed in Uptown Columbus at 13th Street and Broadway, a lovely area, with the usual monuments and fountains artfully decorating the median.

As I gleefully sprang from my vehicle, I heard music--live music--live, rock  music--coming from an establishment across the street.  It seemed odd; the streets were fairly deserted on this Saturday at 1:30 PM, but hey, live music is live music, and I can never pass it up.  But first I must walk, exercise, expend energy, and see the town.

Within no time, I was at the Chattahoochee River Walk, complete with landmarks, statues, and white-water rafting.  I paused to take it all in, snapped a few pictures, and then began a rather brisk pace along the river, stopping occasionally to take in the scenery.

White Water Rafting:

Looking South:



I want to attend a concert at this venue:



 A gift from Japan:



 I think they hid from me when they saw my camera, but a family was fishing together; they said they were fishing for catfish:



Eventually, I was covered in moisture, so I turned around and hurried back to Broadway to reward myself. I was revved to hear the music and entered Chaos on the Rocks, a dark establishment, sheltered from the light of day.  

One beer and several songs later, I was cooled down and musically refreshed. The band took a break, and I was able to meet the bartender, an intelligent young woman whose life was happily consumed by work--three completely different jobs, all tied to the music industry.

Check out the bar on FaceBook, and if you are ever tripping through Columbus, stop by.  Tell 'em Tripping Julie sent ya.  They won't know what you are talking about, but tell them anyway, 'cuz I'm tripping...

julie

No comments:

Post a Comment