Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Florida


Five weeks.  My first stop lasted five weeks.  Don't worry, my dear future hosts; I will not abuse your hospitality in such a way.  Florida is different, because I was born and raised in Jacksonville, the location of my first stop, my son's house. 

I am a grandmother, and for you grandmas out there, you know how inspiring it is to look into your little ones' eyes while they share their thoughts and feelings--gesturing and explaining, struggling to find the right words, and beaming when they have truly been heard.  It's hard to leave that, especially when you know you will be gone for awhile.

The moments I spent with my son and his wife will stay with me as I continue the journey--so much conversation and laughter to replay over and over again in my mind.

And then those occasional moments, when the parents had time off together and the other grandmother and I would dash away, escaping the grandma label to become grown women again--I laugh at the remembrance of our escapades.

I visited family--the living and the dead.  And I soon found myself visiting old landmarks, pausing at each one, remembering its impact on who I am today.  Later, as I scrolled through the pictures, I laughed out loud.  I had taken a picture of a driveway, the one where I learned the wrong lesson:

I suppose I was about four years old and my brother was five.  We were riding our tricycles up and down the drive and he decided it would be fun to turn suddenly and crash into me.  It hurt and I cried.  When asked, I told my mama what had happened and she said, "Don't be a tattletale."  My brother smiled smugly.  My memory tells me that she gave me a spanking; all I know is that I was not to tattle on my brother.  This lesson is the one I call "aiding and abetting the bully."  (I love you big brother.)

I felt a little funny about spending five weeks at a single stop on my road trip.  What was I waiting for?  Was I afraid?  Was I having second thoughts?

No.  I just needed to remember from where I come, so I can focus on where I am going…tripping…

julie

A visit to Friendship Fountain.  I took my grandkids, but spent a moment alone thinking about my pappy; he was proud of this fountain, and took me there often.

2 comments:

  1. We certainly had our ups and downs as siblings. You had an incredible competitive spirit which I was not comfortable with, even at that young age. May you forgive me for any pain I have caused you. You are a precious, special person that I am honored to call sister, friend and kindred spirit. A warm hug from your little, big brother, love you Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, competitive? LOL Dale, no apologies necessary--we were children! I love you, brother; thank you for your comments.

      Delete