Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kentucky: A Respite from the Road--Stress for the Lungs


Zipping into Kentucky after the "Bad Mood Ride," I decided to stop early--I didn't want another dinner fiasco--so I began to watch out for motels.  

On the other side of Pikeville, Kentucky is a place called Ivel, where I found my home for the next two days--the Alpike Inn and Suites, a family-owned establishment with kindness as their mantra. With the coal-mining industry suffering, Ivel is struggling, so I was able (through the benevolence of my host), to stay in a two-room suite, complete with living area and a huge office space, for less than sixty bucks a night.  And yes, the wireless was fast.  I even filmed a video of myself for my blog--my first one!  However, the only way to view the video is to use the Paypal button to donate money...sorry about that.  My needs were met…and then some.

I had neighbors--a couple who had been living at the motel for the last year or two.  He is retired military; she, a couple of decades younger with a desire to move back to Panama City, Florida--"a party town."  We spent a great deal of time together out on the patio watching the rain--no schedule, no hurry, nowhere to be.  

We talked about children:  "Well, the problem here," he explained, "is that the parents don't cut the apron strings.  They expect their kids to stay here forever, with no hope of any kind of a decent life."  

I thought about that for awhile, but when I travelled to Pikeville the next day, I noticed the University of Pikeville--a place designed to instill hope and provide the education for "a decent life."  

And then driving down the Country Music Highway, I was reminded of my students who longed for the day to become superstars, either in music or sports.  "It's my way out," they would say.  And for a few Kentuckians, it seems that stardom was their escape.

We talked about politics:  "I don't care nuthin' about politics," my neighbor went on.  "Reagan and Bush messed it all up when they closed all those military bases."  Hmmm.  I listened intently to his conviction regarding our past presidents.  I felt I had time-travelled; too much Dr. Who?

And so it was that on my second day in Kentucky, I drove to the Pikeville Cut-Through.  They just cut a hole right through the damn mountain.

Driving back to Ivel, I stopped at the Post Office to mail some post cards, but they were closed:  I got there at 3:05; they closed at 3:00.  Damn this laid-back lifestyle!  Oh, but wait!  I spotted a liquor store, so I decided to pick up a bottle of Jim Beam; after all, I'm in Kentucky.  I'll bet they are nearly giving it away.

They weren't.  And as I entered the store, I was overwhelmed by cigarette smoke.  I could not believe it!  Employees were smoking in the store!  I really DID time-travel!  As I priced the whiskey, I gasped for oxygen--Jim costs more than Jack costs in Florida.  I turned away and hurried to Martha's for lunch, a place recommended by the Ivel crew.

I had missed the lunch rush, so I was nearly alone while eating, except for the staff, most of whom were smoking.  Despite the haze in the room, I enjoyed the special--country fried steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a couple of biscuits--all for less than $10 (including tip), and even brought half of it back to my room for supper.  

At the motel, I met another resident, a man who struggled to engage me in conversation and I could barely hear his words.  Some may say that the cigarette smoking in Kentucky is the cause, but I was informed that he had worked in the coal mines…"and smoking can't touch that shit."  It is sad that for so many to make a living for their families, they have to shorten their own.  

I wondered aloud why the mines aren't replaced with a new
energy source.  Perhaps wind turbines on the mountains?  Solar panels?  Or hydroelectricity from the rivers?  I don't know; I'm not a scientist or engineer, but hell, we could put these people to work and move into the 21st century or something, right?  It simply seems primitive that we are killing people for coal.  My neighbors just looked at me.  And smiled.  They had no words for me…nor I for them.

I guess I'm just tripping…..

julie



No comments:

Post a Comment