Wednesday, August 14, 2013

West Virginia: Not What You Think it Is

People.  I need people.  

As a self-proclaimed hermit, I am astonished at how much I miss people, but West Virginia took me home..."to the place I belong..." because I have a good friend there...



and made new ones.

One of my fears for this trip was that I would have difficulty living with people.  I've been living on my own now for ten years...and liked it.  Well, surprise, surprise, surprise, Gomer Pyle, I now yearn to sleep in the homes of others, to sit at their dinner tables, to wash their dishes--to become a part of a family, if only for a little while.

Georgina made it all possible.  Lucky for me, this medical resident actually had the weekend off, a rarity for her ilk, and I was the beneficiary--living in her basement, sharing laughter, building a fire, and breaking bread together--like this spread of bison burgers, sweet potato fries, corn-on-the-cob, and homemade apple pie.  

  


A trip to the Athens, Ohio farmer's market...


 surprised me with lovely stringed entertainment: 

 

And a visit to the local theater in Parkersburg totally destroyed the media stereotype of West Virginians.  


Hillbillies?  From the laughs I heard, I would have to say that the sold-out theater was filled with highly intelligent individuals, possibly even liberal ones.

Yes, my trip is proving the media wrong, as I suspected it would.  America is not made up of individual states, wherein the population of each state is exactly the same.  No, within each state is diversity--my job is to find it.  I guess I need to get back to tripping...

julie

Thanks Georgina and Karen.






No comments:

Post a Comment