Monday, September 2, 2013

The Best Laid Plans...


You can plan and prepare and plan and map out and plan and book and then plan some more…and the plans can collapse and the preparations falter and the roads get closed and the reservations fall through.  Ever have that happen?    Well, I have limited the collapse of the "best laid plans" by skipping the plan part…for the most part.  

Why?  Because I can plan a day ahead and then wake up with no interest in that plan, setting out on an alternative path with full confidence that all will work out.  

So with my life-saving, last-minute, looked-for invitation, I arrived at the home of a friend in Yonkers on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.  This is what I mean by life-saving -- I forgot all about Labor Day and the fact that hotels and campsites would be full and people would be vacationing and I would be homeless.

But I got saved.

My Saviour

My friend's family took me in, offering me their home for the weekend.  I enjoyed my time out on the deck overlooking the garden, chatting with a most hard-working, lovely woman.  She spent hours in the kitchen, lovingly preparing meals for her family that I was invited to enjoy.  I had my first ever broccoli rabe.  Yum.  And in the morning she prepared a breakfast sandwich to die for.  No restaurant could have satisfied me more.  I don't know why I didn't take a picture -- perhaps because I dove in before the thought occurred.

Before setting out to explore my surroundings, my friend's dad told me about Untermeyer Park, so that is exactly where I went.


And no one was there.






No one...not even Satan worshippers.




I had the whole park to myself.




Plan?  Why plan when I can just trip my way into a lovely circumstance?

Watch it happen again next time.  Until then, I'm tripping…

julie

No comments:

Post a Comment