Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tripping into the Brilliance of New England


After two peaceful nights in Yonkers--resting, eating, and conversing with my dear host about her camping experiences--I was revved to head north…to Maine…more specifically to Mount Katahdin, the northern end of the Appalachian Trail.  My son had circled it on my map, had sent me to Clingmans Dome (near the "beginning" of the trail), and I yearned to get to the end to try out my camping skills. 

I sent out notices to my friends:  Do you know anyone with whom I might stay?  But rather than wait around for responses, I got in the car and headed north on the Taconic Parkway (a drive recommended by my host).

I saw a deer.  Yay.  

And I kept driving, pausing occasionally in the drizzle to capture the scenery.


22 North to Rt. 2 (with some 8A thrown in--I'm not sure when I took that detour) thru Shelburne Falls, MA (my roads may be wrong; I didn't pay too much attention--I just turned on roads that headed in the general direction).  Yeah, sometimes I don't use the Navigator...I wing it. 


I had a cute little black bear cross my path; he seemed a bit confused and frantic as he searched for an opening in the woods.  I giggled joyfully until I realized that the sun had begun to set and I had no place to sleep for the night! 

No worries; I drove on to Vermont where I secured a room.  I have discovered that I appreciate alone time after living with people in order to reconnect with my inner hermit.

I sent out another SOS (I had already bypassed homes that friends had suggested) and fell asleep.  I awakened to news that my good friend in South Florida was offering up her cousin in South Portland, Maine.  I now had a destination--a new home with new friends--so I took off in my Prius and merrily headed east through New Hampshire and into Maine.  


I stayed off of the interstate highways for most of the drive and enjoyed some beautiful sights and lovely little towns, but I must tell you that for the first time, it was the few miles on the interstate that gave me pleasure and excitement. 

I stopped at a rest area and was pleasantly surprised to find a liquor store…with reasonable prices.  The State of New Hampshire has figured it out--I mean…Jeez…talk about adding money to the state coffers!  I would not have spent one cent passing through their state (did they charge me a toll?  I don't remember), but I did buy a bottle of wine.  Cha-Ching.

And then I thought about it some more.  When marijuana is finally legal in this country, will these rest areas carry it?Hmmm…I must be tripping...

julie

Next time:  Love is in the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment