Friday, September 27, 2013

You Won't Believe What Obama Has Been Doing!


You haven't heard yet?  What, with the constant bombardment by every type of media, you aren't up to date on the latest Obama failure?  So, I have something new to tell you?

Well, give me a minute, then, to explain how appalling this situation has become.

I have read and listened to enough divisive language in the last few years to last a lifetime, and I am pretty sure that many of you feel the same way.  It is the inflammatory rhetoric of our media and politicians that is alienating Americans and creating animosity between those who would otherwise be friends.  And it is all done for money:  more clicks, more viewers, more listeners, and more subscribers bring in the  dollars. The media really doesn't seem to care about maintaining an environment in which we rationally and respectfully discuss policy and issues in order to find a workable solution.  

During these past few months I have been hosted by many political types such as:

--Those who totally avoid news and politics--"I can't change anything, so why should I care?"

--Those who are immersed in right-wing media--"All liberals lie."

--Those who are immersed in left-wing media--"Republicans have no use for facts, so how can we have a discussion?"

--Those who avoid all media except FaceBook--"(Insert meme here)."

But…and this is an important but:

They all seem to really love America.  Yes, regardless of their politics, they love their country.  

We have heard for some time about the concept of "Real Americans," and if you have paid any attention to my blog "About" section, then you know that my purpose has been to meet these real people.  Everyone who is an American is a real American, and despite the accusations to the contrary, no one is more American than the other.  They merely see the world differently, whether due to cultural background, life experience, or education level.

My host who opposes all welfare programs--"Let's do away with food stamps, subsidized housing, and free health care!"--fed me, gave me a room in which to live, and nursed me when I was under the weather, as did everyone who took me in, regardless of their political or religious viewpoints.

The self-identifying racist responded to my questions thoughtfully, perhaps considering the meaning of his own words for the first time, thanking me as I bid farewell.

The black business owner from South Carolina shared his love for his state, despite his admission that he must constantly demonstrate that he "knows his place" in order to maintain a broad customer base.

Yes, friends, I have been meeting lots of people and I have heard statements that challenged my ability to remain neutral (because, after all, I AM on a listening tour).  But once the politics are cast aside, there is a shared reality of kindness, warmth, and generosity.  This is real America, not the one the media creates.

I must confess that my blog is not here for the purpose of seeing how many clicks I can get (although it is nice when you take the time to read it).  Nor is it here to spew my irritation at those with whom I may disagree.  Rather, it is here to share my journey, my adventures, and my mostly positive reactions to the world around me.  

Oh…about Obama?  I don't know, but I'm sure that somebody somewhere is saying something that might make you mad…if that is how you want to spend your time.  Me?  I'm just tripping...

julie

...and thanks for the click (Cha-Ching!).







2 comments: